Monday 24 February 2014

The Ordinary Vegan - Lotus Biscuits and Spread


You may be familiar with Lotus Biscuits as the single or double portion packs you receive free with a coffee in a cafe or left on your tea tray in a hotel. The good news is that they are vegan and labelled so on the packets and on their website. They are delicious crunchy caramelised biscuits which go perfect with coffee. You can buy the large packet pictured above in most supermarkets and more recently, selected stores have started selling the Lotus Spread too.


The spread, which is sold under the name Speculoos on the continent, and as Caramelised Biscuit Spread in the UK, is a smooth spreadable paste version of the biscuit, great for use in baking, spreading on bagels, crusty bread and toast or dipping bananas in. It is very sweet and I can only eat a little at a time, but as a treat it is lovely, and adds a great flavour to cupcakes, flapjacks and frosting.



What are your favourite vegan biscuits? Share in the comments below.

Come back tomorrow for a brand new Vegan Recipe of the Week.

Big Vegan Love,

VVx

3 comments:

  1. Wow- I didn't know you could get Lotus spread too- looks like a treat :) I like Hobnobs, or the Aldi equivalent, Oaties (but not Lidl Oaties- they are like cardboard)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh thanks, I'll give the Aldi Hobnobs a go next! :-) VVx

      Delete
  2. Hello! I'm new to your blog today and love it! My hairdresser serves these with drinks and it always pleases as they are vegan. I had no idea about the spread though - must check that out! Sainsbury's ginger nuts are a good shout and a store cupboard staple in our house...I just always have to make sure my non-vegan husband and kids don't get to them first!

    ReplyDelete