Tuesday 20 August 2013

Vegan Recipe of the Week - Coconut and Oat Biscuits with Chocolate Orange Drizzle and UK Vegan Food Swap pt.1

This month, for the first time, I took part in the UK Vegan Food Swap (#ukveganfoodswap) organised by tohappyvegans.com. If you would like to take part too, you can sign up here.



The way it works is you are assigned a sending partner and a receiving partner. The sending partner sends you your box of vegan goodies of their choice spending a budget of £10 and the receiving partner gets sent a box from you. For my first month, my receiving partner was one of the founders of the scheme - Sasha from tohappyvegans.com. I decided to send her a mixture of sweet and savoury snacks, some cooking sauces, a vegan lip balm, some organic tea and a batch of these fab biscuits with the recipe so she can make her own. I also received my box from the lovely Chrissie which I will blog about next week.



A couple of weeks ago, I blogged about Hill Biscuits and I promised to include a biscuit recipe or two on my blog, so I thought I'd share the recipe with you all as well.



Vegan Vox's Coconut and Oat Biscuits with Chocolate Orange Drizzle.
(Makes 16 Biscuits)

Ingredients:

85g porridge oats
85g desiccated coconut
100g plain flour
100g caster sugar
100g vegan butter/spread
1 tbsp golden syrup/maple syrup
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tbsp boiling water
1 small packet vegan choc orange buttons




    



Method:

Preheat the oven to 180C/160C Fan/Gas mark 4

Place the oats, sugar, coconut and sieved flour in a mixing bowl.

Melt the butter in a saucepan and add the golden syrup when melted. 

In a cup mix the boiling water and bicarb of soda together and add to the saucepan.

Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour the melted butter mixture into the dry ingredients. Stir to combine.


Take spoonfuls of the mixture and place on a greased/lined baking tray leaving a gap for them to spread.



Bake in the centre of the oven for 10 minutes until golden and then place on a rack to cool.




Whilst the biscuits are cooling, melt the chocolate buttons over a pan of hot water or in the microwave and stir. 



Drizzle the melted choc orange button mix over the biscuits when they are cool and then place the tray in the fridge to set the chocolate.

                               

Eat and enjoy!

These biscuits will keep in an airtight container for a week and are lovely wrapped in baking paper, tied with ribbon and given to friends as a gift.


If you enjoyed this recipe, please follow my blog, share with friends and follow me on Twitter/Facebook, Pinterest, Google + and Instagram.

Click here for a previous Vegan Recipe of the Week!

Big Vegan Love,

VVx




No comments:

Post a Comment