Thursday, 11 July 2013

Birmingham Vegan Fair - 6th July, 2013


Last Saturday I headed into a very sunny Birmingham City Centre for the Birmingham Vegan Fair. It was held at Carrs Lane Church and I think it needs to look at a bigger venue for next year! It was packed! It was great to see so many families and like-minded people all sharing food, recipes, tips and selling their vegan wares. There were sweets, cakes, chocolate, curries, samosas, health food, books, toiletries, clothes, sauces, charity stalls, talks and information galore. There were A-boards all over the city guiding people to the event and I heard more than a few people suggesting they go and see what it is all about, so it may well have introduced veganism to people who were unaware or unsure of how to live a cruelty-free life.




Whilst at the event, I popped over to the TeenVGN HQ stall to say hi to the lovely ladies who run the service, I found out they had travelled all the way from Newport to the event and we agreed next time they visit Brum I will show them around the city's vegan hotspots and we will guest blog for each other, which was cool. It's always great to meet face-to-face with fellow vegans who you know from twitter and blogs.

I ended up buying a few bits and pieces - some vegan parmasan, some vegan organic lipbalms, a trolley saver keyring with a cute cat on and a couple of gifts for birthdays which are coming up this month.


As the weather was so fab, I decided to check out some of Birmingham's other vegan friendly offerings and next headed to Chilacas Mexican Street Food in Brindley Place. They sell amazing burritos, tacos and nachos. It is made to order and they do a gorgeous grilled veggie option. I ordered the veggie burrito (minus the cheese and sour cream), with beans, rice, salsa, jalapenos and chilli sauce. It was really tasty. You can eat in the cafe, outside on the seats provided or take-away. They also accept Tastecard so you get 2 for 1 on all courses. 

Next I headed down to Digbeth and visited the wonderful little vegan paradise that is The One Earth Shop. I met with the owner and took loads of pictures as well as doing a bit of shopping. I also got a free Shambhu's Mixed Berries Cheesecake to review for this blog! It's a tough job testing vegan cheesecakes, but someone's gotta do it! I will share my review of the store and the cheesecake on a future post.


My final stop for the day was a short bus ride into Moseley Village to visit Indigo Wholefoods, a great mini market full of whole foods, vegan wines and beer and so much more. Again I had a chat with the owner, got myself some shopping and a loyalty card and took loads of pictures for the blog. I will showcase this in detail in a future post also.

All in all it was a tiring, hot and wonderful day in Birmingham, meeting up with vegans and animal-friendly people, sharing tips and tasting wonderful vegan food. *happy sigh*

I can't wait for the next event. VVx

No comments:

Post a Comment